Transparency Mode - Blender Import Issue

So i was running into some issues within blender once i had installed the babylon exporter for 3dsmax 2021.

When I was trying to import an fbx that had been exported from 3dsmax, it was messing up the value for the transparency mode.
So instead of Opaque being 0, it was coming in at -1. Which isn’t a value that Blender accepts.
This wasn’t an issue before I installed the Babylon exporter.

I now have to change all Physical material types from Opaque to cutout or blend if I want to import an fbx from 3dsmax to blender.

I have attached an example of the fbx exported from 3dsmax. I’m a new user, so wont let me upload.

Below is an example of the traceback error i was receiving in blender:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx_init_.py”, line 216, in execute
if import_fbx.load(self, context, filepath=path, **keywords) == {‘FINISHED’}:
File “D:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 2608, in load
_(); del _
File “D:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 2607, in _
fbx_item[1] = blen_read_material(fbx_tmpl, fbx_obj, settings)
File “D:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 1468, in blen_read_material
blen_read_custom_properties(fbx_obj, ma, settings)
File “D:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 372, in blen_read_custom_properties
assert(val >= 0 and val < len(enum_items))
AssertionError

Here was the response from a blender dev:

"There is a prop definition in that FBX called babylonTransparencyMode with possible Values [‘Opaque’, ‘Cutoff’, ‘Blend’]
Now the actual value on Material(“seatbeltad_env_mat1”) is -1, so what should the code do? It can only be 0 (‘Opaque’), 1(‘Cutoff’) or 2(‘Blend’)…

I assume this is for babylon.js somehow? Are you adding these in Max “by hand”? Or is this some kind of special exporter?

Could it be that the Exporter does something wrong here?"

So yea, not sure if your exporter is messing up the transparency mode somehow.

Cheers

This is definitely the wrong forum for 3dsmax FBX export to Blender import. The only thing I could recommend if this worked in the past is trying to back off the Blender to 2.83, then check if that works. I have low confidence in non-LTS releases of it, since it went to that update structure. I do not run Blender 2.90.

Other things may be wait for Blender 2.91, due out next week, I’ve heard, or go back to max 2020, at least for diagnostic purposes.

Ok, now I see the connection.