Unexpected .basis texture behaviour in playground and sandbox

I am reporting two unexpected behaviours when trying to use .basis textures.

1. I am trying to inspect the texture in this tutorial.
    When i click on the texture the texture disappears. What is happening here?

2. I am trying to upload a .basis texture but the texture won’t render. The “default” texture appears.

I’d really love to talk to someone who is using .basis textures :slight_smile: Cheers!

@Evgeni_Popov, would you have a bit of time to check ?

1 Like

You should create a bug report in the repo for #1 as it is definitely a bug, the texture editor does not handle compressed textures correctly. I don’t know if it will be able to display the texture in the 2D view but it should at least not make it disappear of the mesh.

For #2, it seems to me that it is the same PG than in #1, so it should work? Maybe you should provide a repro for this one.

Note that .basis is somewhat deprecated, you should use .ktx2 files instead: KTX2 Compressed Textures | Babylon.js Documentation

1 Like

Where should i create the bug report? At this repository https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js ?

For #2 it wouldn’t make sense to create a repro since you must upload a .basis file from your computer. The behaviour seems to be the same for every playground. Upload a .basis file and the you get displayed the default texture.

Thanks for your note, we are switching to the .ktx2 file format!

Yes this one.

What is the difference between #1 and #2 in the source code?

There is no difference in the source code. I was just working on the right side. I was clicking on the material named “dog” and uploaded a .basis file as diffuse texture from my computer. After that the default texture was visible on the object.

Ok, so that’s probably the same problem with the texture manager, it does not handle compressed textures in upload the mode.

Thanks for you expertise!