We built our homepage using Babylon.js

Hey there,

We are a software development company and for the next iteration of our website we decided to use Babylon.js.

We are very happy with the results. You guys have an amazing technology and an even more amazing community around it.

You can look at our website here : https://division5.co/ . We could have made something more complicated than this but we wanted the behavior to feel familiar to users while still being innovative.

We appreciate feedback if any.

28 Likes

This is good thinking and good project mgmt. I think you reached this goal and the design is very clean, nice and appealing to the eye. GJ,

2 Likes

Congrats, nice website!

Submit it here :slight_smile: Babylon.js 6.0 Release Video: Community Submissions

2 Likes

This is an amazing website !!! cc @PirateJC to do your thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

@division5 This is SUPER cool! Definitely submit it to the 6.0 Community Submissions thread per @Vinc3r 's suggestion!

Also - We’d love to tweet about this. Any objection? What’s your twitter username?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the great feedback @mawa , highly appreciated. The team did indeed put their best efforts to deliver a good experience.

That would be soooo cool @PirateJC, thanks a lot. Will submit in the Community submissions.

Also , our Twitter username is division5_ . You posting about it is really amazing, thank you !

LOVE LOVE the design I agree that the design is super clean and pleasing and the little robot is adorable! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you very much, glad to hear that as our graphic designers put some real effort in devising the experience.

1 Like

Looks great - really like how you integrated the scrolling with DOM!

Thanks a lot, this was tricky, we wanted a seamless transition from canvas scrolling to DOM scrolling, otherwise the experience wouldn’t have worked .

1 Like

I love the looks!
Mechanics is nice, though I’d prefer not to have to scroll all the way to the next point. E.g. I’d like it better if it scrolled on its own (bot went) to the next waypoint.
Loading time 7 seconds is fine but just a bit too slow for my taste. You can speed it up by simply using http 2.

Hey there,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We wanted the users to explore a little bit and have some control over the movement. We did limit the number of scrolls from 3 to 2 to go to the next point which we believe will help.

About loading time, looks like the most time is spent downloading the Babylon.js library ( 2.1mb ). We are still looking for ways to optimize it though, so any suggestions are very welcome.

HTTP/2 definitely speeds up loading.
Only other trick I have up my sleeve is removing logo and progress indicator while loading; e.g. https://www.vrspace.org/ appears to load instantly, because 3d elements are rendered once loaded. This approach would in your case cause html to render right away, but droid etc would pop up few seconds after, while visitor still reads the page title.
Not that it matters, you page looks great anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool, love the site.

My feedback: the loading time needs to be cut down. Not sure if that’s just a matter of cdn issues or needing to prioritize which assets are absolutely necessary for the first dom-paint of the landing page but a user should see content within a second.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, loading time is something we will work on in the future as well. This is a first version, the idea is to expand the 3D interaction further so we will definitely get back on the things we can improve. This is really great feedback, thanks.

1 Like

This is pretty neat. I like the way it keeps the mechanics of a website where you scroll down, it’s innovative but not confusing. You stroke a great balance there, kudos. Works well on mobile too.

For the loading time, have you already looked at tree shaking with ES6 modules? Babylon.js ES6 support with Tree Shaking | Babylon.js Documentation That has worked super well for us.

Hey there, thank you for your kind words. This was exactly what we were aiming at. Providing a different experience while still feeling familiar to the standard website navigation. Yes, we were just looking at tree shaking, thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I don’t know what sort of Internet you Guys have. I get an average 2 seconds loading time with what I believe to be a ‘basic’ download speed. Sure things can still be improved but when it comes to just this sort of comments, I’d say you can consider it a success :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @PirateJC, let us know when you tweet about us so that we can retweet and share in other networks as well. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m sincerely sorry about the delay on this. I’ve been heads down on the 6.0 release. Totally spaced on this one. That’s my fault! Thanks for the reminder!

Tweeted!

And again, absolutely LOVE what you all are doing with immersive websites!

1 Like