WebGPU issue, exceeded max texture size

Hello there ! I’m having trouble when I want to render a glb previously imported where some texture exceeded maximum texture size (Extent 3D width:8192, height:8192) with WEBGPU.

I understand it’s limited by gpu caracteristics but is there a way to bypass these limitation?

Here is the code to import my glb file :

SceneLoader.ImportMeshAsync("",  "./asset/", "hub_acceuil.glb",scene).then((result)=>{
	  const meshScale = 1;
          result.meshes[0].scaling = new Vector3(meshScale, meshScale, meshScale);
          result.meshes[0].position = new Vector3(0,0,0);
});

If you need more info feel free to ask !
Thank you for your help

I can unfortunately not think of any easy ways. @bghgary and @Evgeni_Popov might have some clever tricks ?

This only happens for WebGPU but not WebGL2?

It’s only on WebGPU maybe I have to setup something special when I init the WebGPU Engine or when I import my glb file…

Sorry, just to be clear, if you switch to WebGL2 then it works correctly using the same asset?

Yes I’ve tried both, I tried with Webgpu first and I tried with WebGL2 when It didn’t work with the first one, and I don’t have any error with webGL2 for the same asset…

Ok, let’s see if @Evgeni_Popov has any ideas.

It’s the current limit for max texture size…

I have asked in the Matrix channel if there is some plan to provide the true limit supported by the GPU, but I got no answer so far.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! That’s what I thought, but I was hoping to find a way around the problem by automatically resizing the textures, but it might be too complicated to set up…

Hi @Evgeni_Popov , did you hear back about this? We were curious to see a few Frame features broken when we test out webgpu because of this texture size limitation!

In the current version of Canary, it seems they now report the maximum texture size of your GPU: I get 16k for me (which is the same size reported by WebGL2), whereas it is 8k in Chrome retail. I don’t know when it will come to Chrome retail, though (probably a few weeks)…

1 Like

That’s interesting - on Edge I’m seeing textures that are smaller than 8K getting rejected!

This is what I can see in Edge (Version 120.0.2210.77 (Official build) (64-bit)) on my computer:

So, 8k for textures 1D and 2D.

2 Likes

Yes you’re right @Evgeni_Popov !

Something else is making a particular texture be entirely black for me but it’s not a resolution problem. I even clamped it to < 1k and it’s still black so something else is going on. Digging in more to try to find out why.

Fyi @SirFizX ^

1 Like

Hi there from 2024 – @gabrieljbaker wondering whether you ever found out what the black texture issue weas?