Where and how do i start in making landscape/terrain; and feeling of overwhelmness

I wanted to make a simple interactive 3d website for a school project. And I thought of a simple walking simulator just like in Porter Robinson’s website nurtu.re. just a simple grassy field, beautiful sky and clouds with nothing to do but just walk around.

Since I’ve been in UE community for a little bit of time, though I’ve never really developed anything meaningful, I thought I could just make the landscape in Unreal, find a way export it to babylon js somehow and make it work. But I thought I can’t just make everything in UE and Blender, I’ll have to learn about instancing for rendering grasses, etc, and working with heightmap is very new to me.

Right now I’m feeling directionless and overwhelmed, I do not know where to start and wondering whether my expection are too unrealistic. but i don’t feel like giving up yet.

I really appreciate some guidance, or roadmap of things i have to learn to be able to make progress in this project.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no Babylon tool to create landscape, but you can use blender if you want to create simple terrain. Good alternative for grass could be fur material (you don’t need to write shaders and work with thin instances).

1 Like

Uhm, actually: [Open-source] Realm Crafting - MMORPG Editor

Well, you could always download a ready scene from sketchfab :smiley:

But seriously, I do not understand what you want to achieve. What are the requirements of the school project exactly? Also what school: high, grad…? And on your side: do you want to learn or do you want to make something? You need to narrow stuff down.

Or is it that you already decided to adapt Porter Robinson’s website and you do not know where to start? I would do as you intended to do: make the landscape in Unreal [or Blender], find a way export it to babylon js somehow and make it work What is wrong with that?

2 Likes

Also as i know you can export landscape from unity.

And on your side: do you want to learn or do you want to make something? You need to narrow stuff down.

I wanted to make something similar to the website for now, and learn things along the way.

I would do as you intended to do: make the landscape in Unreal [or Blender], find a way export it to babylon js somehow and make it work What is wrong with that?

i wondered about how much i could do using Unreal alone, can i just make the landscape along with the grass blades, trees, etc. what about the animation for the waving grass? will there be a problem with the way the grass blades are rendered differently in Babylon?

Ok I see. I have never worked with Unreal. So I am just guessing judging by what I have read elsewhere.

Let’s just assume that you cannot readily export some things from Unreal (that can be rendered within 60fps). In cases like that you need a workflow to detect incompatible objects. You know like, in Unreal you name the “grass field” object “$Grass” and when you load that object in Babylon, see the name “$Grass”, you know you have to replace it with thin instances and add a shader (or so).

The other challenge can be, depending on how incompaible features are, to replicate that feature in Babylon. This is where you necessrily learn your way through.

Or you know what: Make a quick and dirty level in Unreal with all the features you want (wavy stuff, flowing water, etc.). Then export the level to a glb file. Then drag this file into here: https://sandbox.babylonjs.com/ See what happens.

1 Like