FPS low on some Chrome + MacOS combinations

Hi everyone, I’m building a game for a client and now ran into an issue of low FPS on Chrome when used on MacOS but only on a small subset of devices (one iMac and one MacBook Pro reported out of approx. 15 similar devices tested on so far), it will give around 10-20 FPS in Chrome and then if a user switches to Safari on the same device it’s 60 FPS. I cannot share any code, but it’s all pretty basic, I have up to 10 very low poly models that I instantiate to populate the game world (maybe around 70 instances in total), I also have LOD enabled, just one particle system with very little particles emitted, textures optimised and pretty low res, and it does work well even on old devices, but for some reason is super slow on actually quite powerful machines if executed in Chrome.

Any idea of what could be causing this? I cannot share any code unfortunately, I may try to replicate this issue later with a dummy demo setup that includes all the capabilities I’m using currently, but maybe some of you have encountered this before and know the solution.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome ! can’t wait to see your game :wink:

Can you try to turn webgl2 off maybe? if it works well on safari (which only supports webgl1) that could be a reason

First of all, thanks for such a swift reply! Just tried disabling webgl2, tested on affected devices and it did not help unfortunately. I’ll be testing with some other Babylon demos tomorrow to see if it’s project specific.

Alright, so I’ve asked the person with an affected device to test Sponza demo and what I got from them is 60 FPS in Safari and 0-2 (!) FPS in Chrome. They’re running Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit) on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Mine is Version 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit) and same macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and runs at 60 FPS in Chrome. I’ll get them update their chrome version tomorrow and see if that helps, but very strange behaviour and almost looks like something in Chrome settings that they might have enabled/disabled. Any ideas?

yeah can you make sure they have hardware acceleration turned on?
Is there any message in the console?

Sorry for not replying right away, it was indeed hardware acceleration turned off, which is weird as those two machines have really good video cards and there’s almost no way someone has disabled it manually, so must be Chrome playing some tricks. Thanks for your help!

good news!