Open Source Free Textures Library for Babylon

Hi guys!

In preparation for the Babylon 5.0 release, I’d like to share with you a free seamless textures library with most assets released under public domain - CC0 open source license.

The goals of this library are to:

• Save time debugging with a reliable Babylon viewer - a PG for PBR textures
  • Quickly find high quality seamless textures for game development and e-commerce
  • All textures are optimised for the best quality at the minimum file size for the web (using libvips image processing, so you don’t have to)
  • Be accessible globally with full internationalisation (which is lacking in the CG world)
  • Fulfill a golden path - people wanted an open source assets library.

What features of Babylon does it showcase?

1. Static scene with Render-On-Demand optimisation (CPU and GPU drops to new zero when there is no interaction).
  2. Advanced PBR material textures (you can toggle on/off each texture type)
  3. Scene environment image-based lighting (IBL) - (choose from predefined HDR files or upload your own)
  4. Shadows with Directional light (inc. self-shadow) for near photo-realistic render
  5. Morphing Meshes with displacement height map (currently supporting Cylinder/Sphere shapes)
  6. Thin instances of a mesh with high polycount (50-300k vertices) working in mobile (used in 2D preview)
  7. Progressive LOD (higher resolution textures load on certain zoom level)
  8. Dynamic UV mapping with updatable vertex data
  9. Live Screenshot from 3D Render.

How can you contribute?

• Link to the page to help us spread the word
  • We need help with translation to French, Spanish, German, etc. (no coding, just static JSON files with phrases)
  • Suggest useful features/ideas (ex. turn on/off shadows) - please post it here for discussion.
  • If you have full exclusive rights or can create high quality original texture packs, PM me for a contributor account. Contributors can get attribution links to their portfolio, but must release their work to public domain (or at least free for commercial use).

There is a plan to add at least 1000 new original textures over time (mainly for architecture design) for our work-in-progress room planner app. The next step might be to create a Mesh models assets library.

30 Likes

Woot! this is huge! Maybe worth mentioning in our docs!

cc @PirateJC, @syntheticmagus and @PatrickRyan FYI!

3 Likes

@ecoin this is AWESOME!

Would you be ok submitting this for consideration to be featured in the 5.0 release video? If so, can you post it in this thread for everyone to see?

Also you might want to consider throwing it out on twitter on May 5th to align with our big Marketing moment. Check out this thread for details:

1 Like

yes, of course, it’s open source after all :slight_smile:

Ok, I submitted it to the Call for Content thread. Please, feel free to post it on Twitter or anywhere else you think will be useful to people.

I stop using twitter since 2010-ish, so lost the password (sry, I’m not into social networks). But I will spread the word in other forums on the day :wink:

More texture uploads are coming, there should be several hundreds by the time Babylon releases.

5 Likes

How did I miss this today, this is such a freaking cool idea !!!

1 Like

This is so great! I have been wanting exactly this app for a long time, I am thrilled that you built it! I love that everything is CC0 :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

it so wonderful!
thank you for your contribute :heart_eyes: :sparkling_heart:

So cool, congrats & thanks! :+1:

Damn you’re doing god’s WORK! :heart:

3 Likes

Life size scale is really a good tip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, and it get’s scaled automatically inside the app when user applies material to mesh to remain proportionally correct.

1 Like

@ecoin : Excellent mate :slight_smile: One thought I did have was it needs a “grass” texture then I can make blends of rocks and mud with the grass to use the “babylon.mixMaterial.min.js” babylon script.

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

I suppose I could help with that. Let me know if needed.

@ecoin : here is an example of texture mixing :

The Towers

The textures I used for that were from textures.com

Awesome, will DM you when I get to extracting all phrases in the library (our tag system is still getting populated with vocabulary as we upload).

Not sure how to automate translation of individual asset titles, so that I don’t need to nag people all the time. Any suggestion?

Not sure what is your suggestion, to include more of those assets? Or yeah, adding grass soon!

1 Like

@ecoin : Just add a nice grass texture. I have a Blender file I use to mix textures. So I could mix your grass file with your rock file in Blender to create a mixed file (“stony grass” for example) that can be used with the babylon script.

Not a very nice one, got this seamless grass leaf texture so far (the texture repeat pattern is too large for the mesh resolution to depict heightmap correctly, but if you zoom in, it looks like grass)

1 Like

@ecoin Downloaded both the grass and mud rock texture will play with them tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ecoin : Could not resist a quick mix before supper - so here it is :

The image is tilable.

I should then make the displacement, normal and AO images with Materialize

A Materialize Tutorial 1 , Tutorial 2

2 Likes

that’s really cool, can’t wait to see more mixes.

Is there MacOS version for it? I have a long list of textures that could be quickly created with this tool. There are tons of beautifully created seamless texture photos on the web that can be converted to PBR with this tool. Providing you modify it enough (mixing like you did), it can be released to public domain to benefit all!