KHR_materials_variants from Maya Exporter

Hi all,
I tried to search around without success.

Is possible to export the Material variant from Maya with the exporter?

In another way is possibile in Sandbox?

Many thanks!

pinging @Guillaume_Pelletier

Hello,
KHR_materials_variant is only available into the Babylon js GLTF/GLB loader, allowing the player to use existing models.
However, this is currently NOT supported at export feature into Babylon, 3DSMax or Maya.

1 Like

Thank you for you reply :slight_smile:

Are you thinking about an implementation of this function in the future?

thanks

I do not know. I let Babylon Team respond on that feature request.

So far we do not plan to add more to Maya or Max exporter as Autodesk is about to ship an exporter on their own

BUT! if you want to contribute I will be glad to merge any PR

Thanks for your reply,
I didn’t know about Autodesk export,
unfortunately I am not a developer, but someone would like to add the feature and need a tester, I would be happy to participate!

1 Like

3DVista has new 3D glb import for 360 tours but the variants section cant be used if you are using Max or Maya. Would love this to be part of the exporter its going to be more popular as we all move forward.

1 Like

@Stephen_Hibberd we ll be glad to accept any contributions if you d like to help in this regard ?

Coding or cash? I’d be happy to contribute a payment as I no nothing about code.

The biggest part of the work for the Max or Maya plugin is defining how to create the variant information. A good starting point would be to use a Multi/SubObject Material, but then you have to define the mapping for a mesh. Such Material ID for such variation, with the list of possible variations. It’s not extremely complicated but it takes a long time to complete.