Rendered color looks darker than color picker color

Dear community,

I am trying to render a flat (“non-lighting”) color or texture in my scene . However I found my rendered color is way darker than the color picker:

As you can see in the screen capture above, I use a StandardMaterial, and set “Disable Lighting” be true. So I was expecting the color I set for emissiveColor should be the same color I would see in the scene, since it is a flat shading. However as you see, the rendered flat color is only (127, 0, 0).

I also tried PBRMaterial with “unlit” option turned ON, still same result. Also tried link an image texture to the material, still getting a way darker shading.

You can see I set the environment “clear color” to (255, 0, 0) too and looks the environment color is rendered correctly.

I suspect this is a color space issue but no ideas how it works. Or any other root cause?

Please help :slightly_smiling_face:
Many thanks,
Tawibox

To change the color space one may use
emissiveColor.toLinearSpace()
or
emissiveColor.toGammaSpace()

1 Like

@labris Thank you for the reply!

I have tried but looks not working for me…

Can you give me a example?
Many thanks!

@labris Just an update from my end.

Actually those toLinearSpace() and toGammaSpace() does work - but only on greyscale values, which is gamma is getting affected. But won’t do anything on any 255 (or 1.0) colors.

For example in my sandbox, if I change the emissive color to a value less than 1, then toLinearSpace() and toGammaSpace() will work. But unfortunately for my case, even a pure white color is rendered as a grey color. So my case might come from another root cause.

Do you have any other clues?
Many thanks!
Tawibox

Hey @labris and everyone,

Just an update: turns out this is due to my package local building issue. After rebuilt the scene the issue is all gone. Sorry for the false alarm. All good now!

Many thanks!
Oscar

1 Like