Screen Space Reflections do not work with Orthographic Camera

Hi BJS team,

Screen space reflections do not work for orthographic camera. This is unfortunate because our application uses orthographic camera as a default. We need SSR in order to improve the client render quality. Please see here for BJS repo.

You can see that the other meshes are reflected off the purple plane when the camera is perspective mode. But no reflections are shown when camera is orthographic.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

I don’t know exactly if it’s a bug or intended : SSR is a Post-Processed layer which acts directly on the render using Normal Map and Depth Map. Both of them are subject to be hugely estimated or even missing in orthographic mode, because of the “no perspective” way of projecting the scene.

A few examples on other engines :

• SSR orthographic issue in Unity3D : here
  • SSR orthographic issue in Godot : here and here
  • SSR orthographic issue is Unreal Engine : here

That said, SSR in orthographic rendering is theorically possible. I let official BJS Devs answer whether or not it’s a bug or it’s a known unimplemented feature :stuck_out_tongue:

++
Tricotou

@sebavan @Deltakosh @thomlucc this was the reflection-not-working in orthographic bug we mentioned (from the pixcap team!) :smiley:

Really hoping the team can resolve this issue! Appreciate you guys

Perspective works as usual

But not orthographic

We will definitely have a look with @Evgeni_Popov next week as I am afraid of breaking SSR without him at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

This PR will fix the problem:

When it is merged, this PG will work as expected:

2 Likes

you are the best !!!

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks. Am looking forward to add this to our app. Will really help make the visuals pop!

1 Like

@Evgeni_Popov you guys and the entire BabylonJS community are amazing!