Why DamagedHelmet so great?

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#Y3C0HQ#146
AC9035F9-80FF-407e-963A-976D2EB5F080
How are these images generated? Blender? What’s in blender? why DamagedHelmet so great?This problem has been bothering me for a long time. I never know how to make such a beautiful model texture,the more detailed the better,please help me,thank you very much

Try looking for tutorials on creating game-ready 3D models. There’s free tutorials on YouTube and courses on Udemy for instance.

Typically you’d use your choice of Blender, 3ds Max or Maya to create high resolution & low resolution 3D models and unwrap UVs for the low res model, then export to something like Substance Painter, ArmorPaint or Quixel Mixer to bake high res detail into normal maps and create the PBR material textures.

Relevant Babylon.js docs:

1 Like

As to why DamagedHelmet is so great … well that’s down to the talent of the artist, not the tools :wink:

2 Likes

imho, I’d change “not”… to “with”. :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zGF5ytFHs

There’s lots of add-ons and plugins for modelers… dirt makers, damage makers, age-enhancers. The programmers of the procedural textures… helped “flower” the artist’s talent… by giving them “super-brushes”, in a way.

In fact, the illustration software that @Deltakosh uses on his ipad… for his creations… has a powerful “brush maker” built-in. SO… in my opinion, when doing computer-assisted art… the tool programmers/inventors… are 50% of the blame (for great modeling/texturing) hehe.

The plugin/tool coders get some audience applause, too, I’d say. :smiley:

1 Like

I agree - the tools help a lot and are a great equaliser to some extent. But still, the bar has been lifted, so what a newbie artist can achieve with these tools today is good compared to pro artists of even a decade ago, but pales in comparison to what an experienced, professional artist can do right now.

I have a long ways to go …

1 Like

Yeah… you’re right. The youngsters AND the pro artists… are somewhat equally-advanced by the tools. Proportionately. nod.

But the youngsters can’t always $$afford$$ the fancy tools.

Blender really opened doors. So did… ummm… g-max and gimp? Blender predecessors… folks could get cheap/free. Powerful tools… and safe enough to toss into your baby’s crib (push the kids into early-on in their lives).

And now Blender… hell of a lot of bang for the buck, really. Quite powerful… but it takes devotion and time to become a master. I’ll never get there. Blender is too deep for the amount of years I have remaining. :slight_smile: Good to have, though… makes a person feel empowered. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What does a beautiful model need to have to show a realistic effect in Babylon? For example, model UVs, baking maps, etc., what exactly do you need? From models to Babylon to realistic effects, what does this production line need? I always feel that Babylon doesn’t need to do anything. If there is a good model, it can have good effect. I’m really going crazy. I’m a programmer, and I don’t know much about modeling. That’s why I ask these questions??

I’ve studied Babylon for about a year, but I still can’t produce any good Babylon works. It’s like damaged Helme. I suddenly feel that Babylon is not a product of 3 models. It’s just a platform for displaying 3D models. Whether it’s good or bad depends on the model, and has little to do with Babylon

ouch!

The shaders that display those models is a part of the framework. The loader that loads this model is a part of the framework. The numerous objects and features around a single model (camera, lights, engine, scene, shadows, and many more) are a part of Babylon.

You can say the same thing about any framework, you know. “React is not a web framework, it is a container for nice images!”. Of course the quality of your project depends on what you create. This is obvious. And if it was easy, you wouldn’t have admired the amazing work done on the damaged helmet. This is the result of the amazing experience and talent of Patrick.

I can’t produce good models is not the same as I can’t produce a good work. No one is expected to be able to do everything. Find someone to help you with the models, while you help with the development. A perfect combination to produce a wonderful babylon project.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to say that

Hi gang! A self-quote from a “reminiscing about the good ol’ days” post in an NME thread…

I think I see this happening with @xiaohuangyu. He/She is discouraged… by being blown-away… and self-convinced that he/she needs to measure-up-to “damaged helmet-grade scenes”.

That is a “competition mindset”… and competing is not a factor… unless you let it be. More important than competing… is SELF-satisfaction. Feeling empowered and feeling a sense of accomplishment.

@xiaohuangyu… you are packed-full of excellent scenes. Many of your scenes will use simple built-into-BJS tools… and we want to see them. Once you learn what is available in your BJS “toolbox”… you can be a superstar with little effort and NO fancy modeling.

BabylonJS is completely free (and its a HUGE pile of webGL tools that DON’T need fancy models). Check out my hoverboard demo. https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#34

No fancy modeling, no advanced programming, yet pretty cool, huh? BabylonJS particle system, cylinder maker, camera and mesh “rocker”… just a simple combination of basic programming and built-into-BJS tools. Suddenly, it’s art, and it’s unique/special. I made it in a half-day. I never expected it to become art… but it somehow did.

Just the particle systems in BJS ALONE… have a whole year of fun experiments within them. JUST the particles… which is one of 200 cool tools built-into BJS.

Take a tour in THIS long thread… Examples from the playground (it will take you a long time to tour thru it). Many of the playground demos in that thread… happened the same way. No fancy shaders, no fancy models, but instead… newbie creativity… using the MANY MANY tools built-into BabylonJS.

Many of those playgrounds… accidentally became unique and special… and @Necips wanted everyone to NOTICE how easily people’s “play”… became nice art.

Folks who tour that “Examples from the playground” thread… COULD get even MORE discouraged and disheartened… thinking… “It’s all been done already. What could I DO… that would be SPECIAL and DIFFERENT and make people smile?”

I have felt that feeling… but it hasn’t all been done. Not even close. WebGL is REAL NEW and has DECADES of cool scenes still to come. You have about 100,000 cool BJS scenes inside your heart and mind. Get to know all the power of your BabylonJS toolbox… and let the scenes come out… so we can see them and enjoy them.

A fancy model of a damaged helmet won’t stop YOU from inventing and experimenting.
Try to stay enthusiastic, @xiaohuangyu. Stay simple. The real heroes… are the folks who make art… using simple methods.

Think about Tetris. Not fancy, but a HUGE success. From WIkiPedia…

“Tetris has sold 202 million copies – approximately 70 million physical units and 132 million paid mobile game downloads – as of December 2011, making it one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time; the Game Boy version in particular is one of the best-selling games of all time, with over 35 million copies sold. The game is available on over 65 platforms, setting a Guinness world record for the most ported video game title.” WOW!

2 Likes

Stay simple. The real heroes…When I saw your reply, I almost didn’t cry. You are right. And your words are enough to affect my continuous efforts in the next 10 years,thank you very much,thank you,I will keep my passion for Babylon

2 Likes