Automatic uv unwrap

Having support for automatic uv unwrap of meshes would be really nice. Then, using the node material editor we could create highly complex shaders which “render to texture” on the fly, and burn less battery as a result.

I’m not sure doing it automatically on the fly is a good idea. You have to download the UV unwrap runtime and run it on mesh made of 1000s of triangles. Compared to doing it offline in a DCC.
That’s usually a slow process.
Moreover, I know some OS unwrapper that work great 90% of time. What do we do for the remaining 10%?
I doubt it will be as efficient as a well maintained feature in Blender or Maya.

1 Like