I’ve decided I’ll try to provide feedback on the Editor every Friday or so based on the past week of working in it. The Max Simultaneous Light count and Light gizmo added in beta.3 work great! This week I focused on giving feedback primarily on the interface, with a couple notes on materials as well. I’ve organized them into the two drop down lists below.
- Pressing F points the camera at the focused object, it would be nice if it moved over to that object as well.
- Objects with the “Is Pickable” checkbox unchecked are still pickable and highlight red.
- Clicking in the Inspector, with a nested object selected, minimizes the hierarchy in which the object is nested inside.
- A “Solo” or “Isolate” button that hides all but the selected object could be nice for debugging assets.
- A Gizmo for cameras could be useful for positioning cameras not controlled by the user. This is similar to my previous feedback on light gizmos.
- Ability to organize assets in the Graph. Clicking and dragging assets creates a blue line that gives the impression you are reorganizing the assets; however, releasing the click does not move the asset.
- On that note, “Graph” is used for both the library of assets in the scene, as well as the visual scripting tool. This is sometimes confusing.
- Measurements rounded to the hundredths or thousandths in the inspector would be helpful. The values still apply accurately, but text boxes display either whole numbers or one decimal point. Two or three more decimals should be good for most cases.
- Undo functionality is sometimes inconsistent. Especially when deleting objects, and then trying to undo the deletion.
- Gamma Space checkbox for textures doesn’t appear to change anything. I assumed changing that parameter on my ORM textures would noticeably change the material’s appearance, but maybe I’m using it incorrectly?
- Ability to change normal map intensity would be nice.
- Sheen parameter in the Editor. I know this has already been discussed on a few posts, but I thought I’d include my excitement for that feature making it into the Editor here as well.
Lastly, and this one didn’t fit nicely into either category, I’ve noticed that image files get their file type appended to the end of their name if there are repeat imports. These files were all exported using the Maya exporter as glb files.
Thanks in advance for any assistance with this. I appreciate it!