Glb with huge texture load much slower in 5.0.0

Hi there, I’m trying to load a glb with a texture which is 8k / 80M, It takes about 3s to load in 4.2.0 while about 15s in 5.0.0(alpha63).

The performance record shows that the time is mainly cost by getError, but even if I rewrite the _compileRawShader function to skip the getError, the load time didn’t reduce(2nd picture).

Actually I’m not sure if it is the question with BJS as I found the similar problem in 3js v88 / v134.

a demo glb.

UPDATE:
After test, the width / height of the texture effects more on the load time than size.

This is about the color space of the texture and an internal bug in Chrome open from quite some times now :frowning:

Hi @tanpopo ! We’ve recently merged an issue related to slow loading times on 5.0.0 Added option to force sRGB Buffer support state by RaananW · Pull Request #11758 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js (github.com) can you update your project to check if it helps in your case too? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

There is no npm version with the fix yet, I am updating the preview release as we speak.

3 Likes

@carolhmj @RaananW, I didn’t clone the preview release but turn off supportSRGBBuffers and the problem is solved, Thank you!

5 Likes