Reflection zoomed out when it is a sphere

Hey

I played around with reflections and came across the basic examples here: Reflections and Refractions | Babylon.js Documentation

I figured that on a sphere the reflection looks like it is more zoomed out than on a cube. Is there a reason why this is the case? I tried to showcase it by combining 2 examples here: https://playground.babylonjs.com/#UU7RQ#2426

Here is additionally a picture which shows the reflections. You can see much more details of the cloud in the cube than in the sphere.

Hi JPeer264,

This is because of optics! :smiley: Probably the easiest way to think about it is from a ray-tracing perspective. Suppose your vision works by firing a ray as a “probe” through every pixel into the world, then setting that pixel to the color of whatever the ray hits. The color of a reflective surface isn’t determined (much) by the surface itself; instead, it’s determined by the color of whatever is being reflected in the surface. Thus, when a ray “probe” hits a reflective surface, it has to bounce (reflect) off it and go in a different direction until it finds something it can get color from. The different direction the ray goes is determined by the angle of incidence — basically the direction from which you’re looking — as well as the surface normal — basically the direction the surface is “facing.” The sides of a cube are flat, so every ray that hits the same side reflects based on the same surface normal; thus, when they continue on, they stay relatively close together and thus see a smaller area. The sphere, in contrast, has a curved surface, so all the rays that hit the sphere reflect off at different angles; and because the curved surface of the sphere is convex (curved “out” instead of “in”), the reflected rays spread out and ultimately sample color from a much larger area. Because the rays reflected off the sphere pull color from a larger reflected area (compared to the cube) into a similarly sized reflection area, that gives the appearance of the reflection being “zoomed out.”

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. It makes total sense actually.

Which means in this case I cannot trick the reflection so it seems smaller right?

You can do that — probably most easily with a custom shader where you can manipulate the normals based on view direction — but I’m not sure the result will be something you actually want. The reason it looks round is because the light it’s mimicking behaves like light hitting a round object in the real world. You can cause it to mimic a different behavior of light, which would give you a different-looking reflection, but the result will be that the object no longer looks like a reflective ball.

Yes you are right. I rather stick with the right approach and leave that to how optics really work. Thanks a lot for your answers.