Setting ambientColor and environmentIntensity have not effect

Hi All

So im still a noob so please forgive my learning baby steps.

I bought LYS to make a .dds HDRI , im loading it and it works, i used createDefaultSkybox and I could see it there. I did also set scene.environmentTexture so it should be used for IBL.

I loaded a glb i created in blender and targeted one mesh in it and set the material to a PBR material , this works and if I change the albedoColor or roughness or mettalic I can see the changes happening. I can also see the HDRI in the reflection so it is affecting the material rendering.

What does have me stumped is as mentioned in the title , setting ambientColor or setting environmentIntensity does not have any affect , the mesh material looks exactly the same. What am i doing wrong here??

(ps another bizarre aspect of this test is that when I set the material the normals get all messed up? Why does setting a different material have any affect on the face normal direction? that should never be happening The normals are fine when the glb loads , after I set this material it looks like the get inverted , although it looks like it does invert them totally … if someone could explain why this is happening i would be grateful )

Here is the code :

var testMaterial = new BABYLON.PBRMetallicRoughnessMaterial("testMaterial", scene);
       testMaterial.environmentTexture = hdrTexture;     
       testMaterial.albedoColor = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 1, 1);
       testMaterial.metallic = 0.105;
       testMaterial.roughness = 0.08;
       testMaterial.environmentIntensity = 0.1;
       testMaterial.ambientColor = new BABYLON.Color3(.5,.5,.5);
       testMaterial.backFaceCulling = false;
       mesh.material = testMaterial;

cheers

here are some screenshots :

nochange

As can be seen setting the environmentIntensity of the material has zero visual change. I didnt include shots for ambientColor but I can assure you it looks identical no matter what I set it to or no matter what environmentIntensity is set to … any combination of values … it does not matter the result is zero change in visual appearance. please hrlp what am i missing here?

• the ambientColor is multiply with the scene ambient color, black by default, so your color * black = black
  • it seems you have a scene.environmentTexture + testMaterial.environmentTexture (which are both using the same file if I’m not wrong), so I guess, but I’m not sure, the environmentIntensity lower only the material one? You have to know it’s not necessary to reassign the environmentTexture on a material if the scene already have one. Try deleting the testMaterial.environmentTexture = hdrTexture; line for testing
  • about the normals orientation, it may have to do with sideOrientation where 0 == BABYLON.PBRMaterial.ClockWiseSideOrientation and 1 == BABYLON.PBRMaterial.CounterClockWiseSideOrientation

hi again

Thanks a million for the deep knowledge you are sharing , I will try remove it on the material and then do the testing again. ( maybe that should be in the docs, or inside the engine it should resolve itself regardless of where or how many times you set this value,. Is there a good reason why it can be set from two places?? )

I didnt know triangle index direction is set on the material? Seems a bit odd, I would think it should belong to the mesh and the material should not have anything to do with this.

This makes sense as i can have two objects share the same material and have different windings for example - because the winding belongs to each mesh. The material will work properly on both of them, also I only need to ever edit one material and the changes will propagate to both objects as they share a material

Currently the material having the setting means I have to create two materials , each with a different winding and then set them to each object. Now this means I no longer have the power that comes with both objects sharing one material when it comes to editing…

Based on the logic I stated above this doesnt seem ideal unless im missing something - if anyone wants to explain the pro reasons why this choice was made im all ears, i could be overlooking something, otherwise i guess we just stuck with the “not ideal logic” :wink:

cheers

Pinging @sebavan for more info

To complete on @Vinc3r answer:

1. ambientColor is definitely about the multiplication with the scene one.

2. environmentIntensity does not exist on PBRMetallicRoughnessMaterial, only on PBRMaterial. PBRMetallicRoughnessMaterial is meant to be an easier version: Babylon.js Documentation

3. About normals, if your material/mesh have been edited to be double sided you need to reproduce what is done in the loader:
    if (material.doubleSided) {
    babylonMaterial.backFaceCulling = false;
    babylonMaterial.twoSidedLighting = true;
    }

Thanks for all the good info and help gents