Summoning a Shader / Effects Wizard to Assist

Haha yes thanks. We did experiment with this quite some time ago: How would you do a Orthographic water intersection effect?

We were very grateful for the help by @phaselock @Evgeni_Popov @Pryme8 and others but unfortunately the effect didn’t quite do what we wanted and since then we have come up with a different look in blender (see my OP).

The main difference with that effect and the one we are looking for is that that effects only work in camera space so that the white “foam” on the mesh doesn’t extend beyond the mesh.

This also means that the water “foam” doesn’t emanate away from the mesh in a pleasing way (see this video as a demonstration).

I suspect to do this might involve rendering the scene into a buffer from above then applying some sort of “distance field”, but again I must admit im a bit out of my depth so I was really hoping to get some assistance from others on this.

I feel like I have pestered the community enough on this subject so we decided it might be worth contracting it out to someone that wanted to take it as a paid job.

1 Like