Unable to compile effects error

One of my user is encountering an “Unable to compile effects” error in the console, and one of the texture is not appearing (…but all other textures appears and everything else seems to work fine). This only seem to affect one user only; I’m unable to replicate the error and no one else has reported this issue.

On the browser console, he’s getting what appears to be shader code and the only other message that looks useful is “FRAGMENT SHADER ERROR 'sampler2DShadow” : No precision specified".

The application only uses webgl 1 and doesn’t have any custom shaders. The user with the problem is using Chrome on Windows.

Any ideas what could cause this or how I can start debugging this?

This is related to a recent release of Chrome we published 4.2.1 yesterday if that helps

1 Like

Broken shadows after recent Chrome update in 4.2 - Bugs - Babylon.js (babylonjs.com)

1 Like

Thanks. Upgrading to 4.2.1 fixed it.

Probably an off-topic question, but I’ve always thought that shader code is compiled by the GPU driver. How would a browser update caused a compilation error? Does the browser pre-process the shader code? I guess I must be understanding the shader compilation process wrongly…

Angle is doing lots of trickery on shaders :slight_smile: so yup there is a browser stage involved

This resolved the issue for us. Thanks so much!

1 Like