Unable to import texture in .sbsar format

Hi,

Using blender we added texture to tshirt in .sbsar format using substance 3d plugin

We exported the avatar/texture in .glb format. While running the avatar from web the following is the output

@mawa can u pls suggest some approach to be followed while adding .sbsar textures ?

Sorry, I don’t know. Never used this format exported from blender for BJS. It looks like it’s not supported as such. Obviously, it doesn’t feed the right channels on export. There is simply no textures, not even an albedo. Hopefully someone who is more used to the workflow of using substance>blender>bjs will kick in.
Else, I know @PatrickRyan did help with a debug on colors using this workflow. Probably he knows what might be the issue, but I don’t know if he has the time to reply (with the imminent launch of v6 :sweat_smile:).

@vijay_krishna, unfortunately, the Blender glTF exporter requires discreet textures for each material parameter and does not support the Substance plugin as you can see in the docs. I haven’t used the substance plugin for Blender, but if there is a way to export a PBR texture set with your parameter settings in Blender, this would probably be the best route. Then you can simply load and assign the textures to your PBRMaterial at runtime. Or if you need to have a stand-alone glTF asset, you would then import the textures and add them to a PrincipledBSDF shader which is suppored by their exporter.

There are a couple other ways to do this as well. If you have specific parameter settings you can set those up directly in Substance Sampler and export textures for PBR. You would just load the SBSAR into Sampler and set up your parameters and then export to a PBR texture set.

The other way you can do it is to bring your SBSAR right into Substance Designer and set your parameters there. Doing this part in Designer allows you to set up your channel packs if you want to use Occlusion/Roughness/Metallic (ORM) textures in your asset. You can import an SBSAR directly into Designer and wire up the SBSAR node directly to the material outputs. In this one I channel packed the opacity map into the base color and wired up an ORM output.

But you can also see that the substance parameters are available when the node is selected in the graph. This means you would do your styling of your textures outside of Blender, but until there is support for the Substance plugin in the glTF exporter, you will need to pass textures to Blender materials. There is one other option, which would be Bring your character into Painter and apply your SBSAR materials in Painter and you can export to glTF from there. However, this won’t work if your asset needs animation or morph targets right in the glTF. I don’t think there has been support for animation or morphs added to Painter. I tend not to use Painter to export final glTFs, but you can quickly export one while working on the textures to throw into the Babylon sandbox to see the materials you are authoring in engine.

I hope this helps, but I know isn’t an ideal answer. Feel free to ping back with more questions, however.

5 Likes