3ds max glb refraction materials

Hi everyone;
I use 3ds max babylon GLB GLTF exporter. I have a some problem transparent refraction. I want to make like this example
I did download it this model and than reupload for the test in the google model viewer. It works any problem. But ı try export to the babylon.js plugin not working refraction glass material. how can make this material from 3ds max?
Here is the model viewer screenshot and original glb file Olive Text - Google Drive

cc @bghgary and @PatrickRyan

Welcome to the community!

I don’t understand what you mean. Did you make a 3ds max version of this model? What do you mean by “download this model”? Did you download the GLB? I don’t think the source for this model is available from the author. The original one was produced with the Babylon GLB exporter as noted here.

1 Like

actually what I’m trying to do is to create glass material like here. I imported it into 3ds max program. But with what settings can I make such material? How to ı setting 3ds max materyal

Do you want to make the glass material in Babylon or in 3DS Max?

Yes. I want to make the glass material in 3ds max babylon js

3DS Max and Babylon.js are different things :sweat_smile:

I guess you don’t know about 3ds max babylon plugin
Releases · BabylonJS/Exporters (github.com)

I solved it myself in 3ds max.

I know about the plugin, but you didn’t talk about it on the previous message :stuck_out_tongue:

I think @echadwick-artist manually edited the glTF to create the glass material when he created it. The exporter now has some newer extensions supported, but one that you would need in order to create this glass material is KHR_materials_volume which is not supported. The exporter is now in maintenance mode and thus we are no longer adding more features.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention Gary!

I did use 3ds Max and the Babylon.js exporter, but I did most of the material editing inside Visual Studio Code. I detailed the material choices here: glTF-Sample-Models/2.0/IridescentDishWithOlives at master · KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models · GitHub

Autodesk now has a glTF Material in 3ds Max 2023 and their own glTF exporter that works with it. So you can adjust ratified extensions directly in Max. You can even use ActiveShade with Arnold to preview things not usually supported in the normal Max viewport, like refraction and absorption.
https://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-7ABFB805-1D9F-417E-9C22-704BFDF160FA

I converted the model to use KHR_materials_iridescence for the glass, once that extension was ratified. This is a more accurate representation than the KHR_materials_specular which I used before.

I also made a tutorial to explain the overall process: glTF-Tutorials/README.md at master · KhronosGroup/glTF-Tutorials · GitHub This is a different model, but the principles are the same.

I hope this helps!

4 Likes