Generate equirectangular 360 panorama from babylon.js scene

I got this to work:

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#E7IT0S#1
Based on this three.js code:

6 Likes

You rock! this is really cool!

Would you be ok to do a PR to add it as a tool in the framework?

Yeah man will do!

2 Likes

Hey @bnolan sorry for the necroposting :slight_smile: but we do have several users that could use your feature.

Still ok for a PR?

2 Likes

Bump.

Having this feature is very useful if you’re generating dynamic environment textures where you could perhaps generate an env file on the fly by first rendering the scene, then taking a screenshot of the rendered scene, generate an env off that screenshot (I’ve only seen it done with HDR files in Babylon.js Texture Tools but I’m guessing its possible with pngs that OPs code generates?).

This way we can get IBL on meshes that are dynamically added/removed after the main scene renders.

1 Like

Bump Bump.

This would be very useful!

@thomlucc, might be something to add for later ?

Put it on the Bug Bounty by Bitreel board?

2 Likes

cc @br-matt for this as he is the daddy of this initiative :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see this as more of a development aid. I can do these (360 .hdr files) from Blender, but I actually copy the setup from the first one I got to work, because there are a bunch of things I do not want to leak into my other .blend files like using the Cycles renderer.

While I am grateful it works, being able to do this from a browser allows for making geo in multiple pieces, then just using the assembly procedure that you already need to do in JS. Not to mention there things that cannot be done upstream.

I do not really see this as being a very usable tool in and of itself, though. It kind of ties into

Doing completely blind snaps is going to make using extremely tedious. In Blender, I can drag the camera that is going to do the 360 around. Even then, I never have gotten the position even close the first render. Think combining the 2 would be a good idea.

1 Like

Does this still need a PR, should be fairly easy to do?

1 Like

One upvote :+1: from me to revive this feature, if by any means possible.

I’m just not trying to step on anyone’s toes.

Yeah, I try (hard :wink:) to do the same. Although I know I’m sometimes just a little bit ‘pushy’ :grin: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: …But then, I try to make it for ‘good’, for the bright side of the force :innocent: :joy:

1 Like

You can go for it @Pryme8 :slight_smile:

Well here is the logic, just need to figure out why the skymap is missing and Ill be able to wrap this up.

40ish lines of code to make it happen is really not that bad ^_^.

4 Likes

Do check out the PR here
based on @Pryme8 's work on above, do share reviews on the PR, would love to get the feature onboard

1 Like